Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a long-term or recurrent disorder of gastrointestinal (GI) functioning. It typically involves the large and small intestine with disturbances of intestinal/bowel motor function and sensation. This disease is characterized by chronic abdominal pain, gas, cramping, bloating, discomfort, and irregular bowel movements. Treatment typically consists of medications to combat these symptoms, but this unfortunately rarely addresses the underlying problem.
The good news is that these symptoms don’t have to dictate your life. There is evidence that a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system contributes to IBS. Both medical doctors and chiropractors alike, agree that the primary reason for IBS is nervous system miscommunication. This means that chiropractic care can be a huge asset in alleviating the condition and its associated symptoms.
Chiropractic Care And IBS
Who Is Affected By IBS?
IBS does not necessarily discriminate and affects men and women alike, but it is more likely to be seen among women. There are similar digestion problems such as Crohn’s Disease, and Ulcerative Colitis that may also have similar symptoms related to IBS. Another common correlation among those with digestion issues is the presence of a spinal misalignment. Both males and females can have spinal misalignments and can disrupt your entire body’s function and lead to a number of health concerns and issues, including Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Types of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome is typically classified into one of the following categories:
- IBS-C: Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation.
- IBS-D: Irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea
- IBS-A: Irritable bowel syndrome with alternating constipation and diarrhea
Chiropractic Care And IBS
- Promotes Proper Nerve Function. The central nervous system (CNS), which is composed of the brain and spinal cord is exactly what Chiropractic care has a focus on. The central nervous system takes responsibility for the function of the entire body. Signals travel back and forth from the brain to the intestines and controls how the intestines function. With IBS sufferers the line of communication in the CNS is hindered. The goal of chiropractic care is to ensure that nerve interference does not disrupt the brain’s ability to properly communicate with all other systems.
- Reduce or Stop Using Medication For IBS. Sadly, IBS symptoms can be so uncomfortable, many people try to find immediate relief with medication. While the medication may relieve some symptoms, medication is only a temporary fix and the symptoms often return or are worse than before, once you stop taking medication. There are also side effects that come with taking any medication. With Chiropractic Care, you can find natural, safe, and effective relief without any potential side effects. Not to mention, with Chiropractic you can be assured that you are treating the root cause of your health concerns instead of just the symptoms. This ultimately means finding long-term relief.
Chiropractic care focuses on the overall health of the body’s central nervous system. Doctors of chiropractic are trained to properly identify and treat problems with the nerves of the human body. If your central nervous system is healthy then all systems of the body are able to work properly, this includes your bowels and digestive system.
If you are interested in learning more about health and wellness, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Corrective Exercises, and Massage. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!