Staying physically healthy and managing emotions is essential skill. Staying physically and mentally healthy helps us face the challenges, stresses, and setbacks in life. It also prepares and equips us to be more functional in our daily lives.
A clear distinction is oftentimes made between the mind and body. However, when considering mental health and physical health, the two should be considered a partnership.
Lifestyle Factors To Maintain Mental and Physical Health
- Exercise. Physical activity in any form is a great way to preserve your physical health and improve your mental wellbeing. Physical activity means any movement of your body that uses energy. From tending your garden to taking a walk or running a marathon, even gentle forms of exercise can significantly improve your quality of life. Research has shown that doing exercise influences the release and uptake of feel-good chemicals called endorphins in the brain.
- Good Nutrition. Good nutrition is a critical factor in influencing the way we feel. A healthy diet is essential for keeping the mind and body in top condition. The food we eat can greatly influence the development, management, and prevention of numerous health conditions
- Hydration. This is one of the essential healthy habits as our bodies actually need water on a more consistent basis than food. It is often overlooked in its importance. Consuming enough water not only helps hydrate us, but it provides a neutral pH, helps detoxify organs, and combats food cravings.
- Friendships. Friends can keep you physically healthy by helping you stay active and serving as your mirror. Good friends will let you know when your physical health may need extra care. For your mental health, friends provide relief, camaraderie, and they can also help boost your mood. Spending time with friends can be a great way to stay fit physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Practice mindfulness. Mindfulness can be achieved by meditating or focusing on being present in the now, without attention on the past or future. Practicing mindfulness can decrease stress, be a supplemental treatment for depression, and improve overall general health.
- Sleep. On the reverse side of exercise, it’s also imperative that you give your body and mind the time it needs to rest. Quality rest includes both sleep and relaxation. A regulated sleep cycle with approximately 7-9 hours of sleep per night is important for mental and physical wellbeing. Rest gives the body and mind a much-needed opportunity to rebuild, which can better equip it to take on everyday life tasks.
Your physical health and mental wellness are important if you want to live a long and happy life. These small changes that you can make in your lifestyle will promote good overall health.
If you are interested in learning more about health and wellness, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many other holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Massage, Rolfing, and Corrective Exercise. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!