It is not a stretch to say that anxiety disorders affect millions upon millions of adults in the United States every year, making them one of the most common mental health conditions in the country. When these disorders are left untreated, it can be near impossible for those that suffer from it to relax, be successful at the workplace, maintain close friendships and participate in daily activities and even hobbies.
While there isn’t a cure for anxiety, there are ways to manage symptoms and find more peace in your daily life. If you suffer from anxiety, one simple thing you can do in order to reduce your symptoms is to include these vitamins and supplements. You can also reach out to us for more information about our Psychology and Neurofeedback services which may help with anxiety.
6 Great Vitamins And Supplements For Anxiety
- Ashwagandha. Ashwagandha has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to combat the effects of aging, reduce anxiety and improve energy for centuries. In natural medicine, the root is considered to be an “adaptogen,” or a compound that assists the body’s natural processes and promote overall wellness and health. Today, it is common to use Ashwagandha to improve mood as well as reduce the symptoms of anxiety and can be found in capsule form.
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid. Gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA is an amino acid and neurotransmitter that is located in the brain and is crucial to serotonin production. Serotonin is one of the nervous system’s most dominant, “feel-good” neurotransmitters, GABA plays a significant role in mood regulation and relaxation. GABA can be taken through supplements to reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Passionflower. Passionflower is a herb commonly used as a home remedy for calming anxiety. Its been shown to promote improvement in sleep quality, elevate moods and alleviate nervousness. Passionflower can be consumed as an extract as well as a tablet.
- L-theanine. L-theanine is an amino acid that can reduce stress, improve focus, and promote relaxation. It has the ability to produce positive effects on moods. L-theanine can only be found in a few foods and drinks, including black tea and green tea, so the next time you need to calm things down to a more comfortable level simply try a cup of green tea!
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Fish oils contain omega-3 fatty acids, these are the basic building blocks of the brain and nervous system. These acids are crucial for cognitive functioning and have been shown to improve symptoms of depression, which is often closely linked with anxiety disorders. These brain-boosting amino acids can be found in a wide variety of fish species, including salmon, mackerel, lake trout, herring, tuna, sardines, and anchovies.
- Magnesium: Magnesium has several important roles in maintaining a healthy body, including the difficult task of calming the nervous system. Interestingly, magnesium deficiency has been found to be a common deficiency in adults, so don’t forget to consider this supplement when looking for anti-anxiety treatment options. Be aware that it is important to be careful with the dose as too much magnesium can lead to diarrhea. It is best to start with a low dose and increase, if necessary, based on anxiety symptoms.
*It is best to seek the help of your Medical Doctor, Chiropractor or Nutritionist with supplements to streamline your treatment and avoid possible negative interactions.
If you struggle with anxiety and your no stranger to a fast-beating heart, imagining doom, or have shallow and rapid breathing then consider one of these vitamins and/or supplements. It may be just what you have been looking for!
If you are interested in learning more about health and wellness, I encourage you to schedule an with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Corrective Exercises, and Massage. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!