Spinal Decompression – Long lasting back pain can one of the most debilitating forms of discomfort. If you’ve had chronic back pain, then you know the toll it can take on your life. However, finding ways to relieve that back pain can also be stressful!
Thankfully, a simple and non-invasive treatment called spinal decompression has given much relief from neck and back pain. In short, spinal decompression is a type of motorized/computerized traction that can help relieve neck and back pain. The conditions treated with this protocol are Herniated discs, Bulging Discs, Sciatica, Numbness and tingling in arms or legs and Facet Syndrome. So how exactly does spinal decompression work? What are some of the benefits of spinal decompression?
How Does Spinal Decompression Work?
In short, spinal decompression therapy involves gently stretching the spine, using a traction table or motorized device, and relaxing it in a controlled manner. This, in turn, changes the force and position of the spine. By doing this, you take pressure off the spinal disks by creating a negative pressure within the disks.
Creating negative pressure within your spinal disk has two main benefits. This includes:
- May cause the bulging or herniated disks to retract, which takes the pressure of the nerves in your spine.
- Promotes the movement of oxygen, water, and other nutrients into the disc which creates a more efficient healing environment.
Generally, this procedure doesn’t last more than 30 minutes, and it promotes both healing and pain relief.
So now that we have a better understanding of how spinal decompression works, let’s talk about some of the benefits. These benefits include:
- Non-Invasive: One of the greatest benefits of nonsurgical spinal decompression is that it’s completely non-invasive. Spinal decompression can help relieve back and neck pain without the need for expensive and invasive surgeries.
- Short Recovery Time: Because spinal decompression is a non-invasive procedure, the recovery time is basically nonexistent. With a traditional spinal surgery, you would likely be bed-ridden for a few weeks while recovering and you might need even more physical therapy afterward. However, with spinal decompression, you can return to your normal activities after a 3o minute session.
- Painless: Spinal decompression is completely painless, and can actually be pretty relaxing. During a spinal decompression session, a harness is gently fastened around the hips while you are positioned on a decompression table. This table slowly moves vertically to stretch the spine. This process can be very relaxing as pressure is relieved between each vertebra.
- Pain Relief: One of the most notable benefits of spinal decompression is, of course, pain relief. In fact, healing and pain relief can begin as soon as the first session. As I mentioned above, a typical session lasts between 30-45 minutes. These sessions are recommended to be done around 15 to 30 times over a six-week period. As the pressure in your disks is relieved, pain relief should follow soon after.
- Safe: With no need for surgery or drugs, spinal decompression can be a safer alternative than other treatment methods. There is pretty much no risk of injury, which eliminates the fear or anxiety before-hand like there would be before going into an operating room.
These are just a few of the amazing benefits of spinal decompression. In addition to pain relief, spinal decompression is also safe for all ages and has virtually no side effects.
The Benefits of Spinal Decompression Takeaway
All in all, spinal decompression is a safe and effective treatment for pain relief. So if you are looking for an alternative way to relieve pain, spinal decompression could be a good fit for you.
If you are interested in finding more remedies for pain, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many other holistic treatments such as decompression therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, neurofeedback, psychology, reiki, nutrition, massage, rolfing and corrective exercise. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!