Ever wonder how some people are able to handle extremely hectic schedules and still seem calm, relaxed, and having fun the whole time? Simply put, they have effectively learned to manage stress.
Neurofeedback training has proven to be very helpful in managing stress, both chronic and acute. This is due to the fact that the central nervous system, which enables the body to produce stress hormones, is trained to cope more effectively and to switch back to its normal function with the use of this enjoyable, non-invasive treatment.
What Is Neurofeedback?
Neurofeedback is a psychotherapeutic treatment to improve brain function and reach peak performance; it helps improve mood, stress level, emotional regulation, anxiety, hyperactivity, attention, distractibility, and cognitive processing, repetitive thoughts, sleep, chronic pain, fatigue, migraines, addictions, menopause, and epilepsy.
Neurofeedback is a particular form of biofeedback that’s based on measuring brain activity directly. typically it works as a form of repetitive exercise, that increases your brain’s “fitness”. It’s like weight training, it builds the “muscle” of your brain.
Stress and Neurofeedback
- Our brain has its own emergency system that releases very specialized chemicals whenever we are experiencing stressful situations. When our brain sees a certain situation as dangerous or threatening, the brain releases chemicals to prepare our bodies to fight or fly the same way our ancestors used to do when facing a lion.
- Stress is very beneficial when we are able to take the necessary actions to resolve the problem we are facing at the moment and get back to our normal state after that. However, a stressed brain does not present healthy brain wave patterns. It simply gets stuck in unproductive and irregular patterns that keep repeating themselves.
- Neurofeedback is, basically, exercise for the brain. It seeks to change and strengthen healthy brainwave patterns by presenting it with stimuli that challenge its deregulated patterns.
- Neurofeedback is a targeted and direct method to show your brain how to return to a natural, unstressed position.
What To Expect During a Neurofeedback Session
- The process begins with tests, a thorough understanding of the symptoms within the context of an individual’s medical and psychological history and a treatment plan.
- Electrodes are applied to the scalp to listen in on brainwave activity. The signal is processed by a computer, and the information is extracted from certain key brainwave frequencies. This shows the ebb and flow of this activity back to the person, who attempts to change the activity level.
- It is a non-invasive treatment that works toward improving the source of your unwanted health symptoms. Eventually, the brainwave activity is “shaped” toward more desirable, more regulated performance.
- Neurofeedback (EEG Biofeedback) is typically provided by mental health professionals such as psychologists, family therapists, and counselors. These professions usually work with clients one-on-one. The training may also be provided by MD’s, nurses, clinical social workers, rehabilitation specialists, and educators.
The Takeaway: Neurofeedback And Stress Relief
Most people have some idea of what stress is or what stress feels like. Unfortunately, most people do not know what stress actually does to the body, particularly in the form of prolonged stress or highly acute forms of stress. We know that life is not one quick sprint, life is a marathon.
Neurofeedback can train the brain to respond in a positive manner to challenging situations. With neurofeedback, the individual can quickly learn how to de-stress oneself, and can readily see the results of this process on body functions using sensitive feedback instruments.
Contact us for more information and to schedule an appointment with our Psychologist, Dr. Betina DeSouza, or one of our other trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many other holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Massage, Rolfing, and Corrective Exercise. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!