Did you know that having an optimistic, positive attitude can actually help to keep you healthy? Research indicates that there is a clear and strong link between positivity and health.
Having an optimistic outlook can provide numerous health benefits including strengthened immunity, better cardiovascular health, increased life expectancy, increased coping skills during times of stress and lower rates of depression.
How Thinking Positive Can Impact Your Health
- Boosts Immunity. Positive thinking has the power to act as a defense against ailments such as the common cold. Stress can lower our body’s natural immunity to disease. Having a positive outlook can help to fight stress and thus helps protect our immune system. Having chronic negative thoughts can not only reduce the body’s immune response, but it can also make recovery from surgery slower, and can even make managing serious conditions such as heart ailments, and cancer more difficult.
- Heart Health. Sadly, one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. is heart disease. The good news is that thinking positive and maintaining optimism can make you more resistant to heart disease. Studies have shown that optimists are less likely to contract coronary heart disease compared to negative thinkers. This is likely due to the fact that optimists tend to lead healthier lifestyles paying more attention to diet, exercise, and stress management.
- Life Span. Living longer is something we can all enjoy and strive for. A positive outlook can influence more than just your overall mood, optimistic people may be more engaged with self-improvement and ready to tackle obstacles they encounter on the road to better health. When you view things more positively you also are likely to cope with stress better so it doesn’t compromise your health.
- Stress Relief. When faced with stressful situations, those who think positively tend to cope more effectively than pessimists. In fact, researchers found that when optimists encounter a disappointment they are more likely to target the things that they can do to resolve the situation. Positive thinkers will devise a plan of action and even reach out to get advice or help if needed. On the other hand, negative thinkers will become overwhelmed, experience more stress and assume that they are helpless to make changes.
- Combat Depression. Negative thoughts are generally associated with major depression in those diagnosed with the disorder. Positive thoughts regarding oneself maybe the first step to transforming the person’s negative thoughts and depressive tendencies. By changing thoughts from perpetual darkness to instead illuminate the positive aspect of reality, this can lead one to a happier and more fulfilling life.
6 Tips To Become A Positive Thinker
- Learn To Be Grateful. The power of being grateful should never be underestimated. Those who practice gratitude daily are happier, healthier and more effective in life. Resist the urge to focus on the negative because if you look, you will always find it. Instead, use that brainpower to find the good in things. Write it down as a reminder to yourself until it finally becomes second nature to you.
- Meditate. When most people think of meditation, it is easy to envision spiritual gurus or yogis. Meditation is, in fact, for anyone looking for a practical and simple way to bring peace, tranquility, and to become present in the now. When we take a few minutes to focus on our breath, we are learning how to get to, and remain in, the present moment and to anchor ourselves in the here and now on purpose, without judgment.
- Positive Presentation. The mind and the body have an inherent connection that can deeply impact each other. If it seems challenging to move your mind into a more positive perspective, take the time to move your body there first. Consider standing up straight, shoulders back, and chin held high. Feel the power and accept the positive feeling that carrying your body in this way will bring you.
- Act Of Kindness. In these days of busy schedules and a fast pace, it isn’t hard to get absorbed by your own struggles and to forget about the people around us. Do yourself a favor and step outside of your daily routine to take a moment to help someone else, find perspective, and let it fill you with positivity. Start with simply doing one act of kindness each day and let it reward you with all things positive.
- Surround Yourself With Positive People. Have you ever found yourself stuck in a room with complainers and negativity only to actually feel it rub off on you? Instead, choose to spend time with positive friends and family members and the same positive vibes will rub off on you instead. After all, one of the best ways to find happiness is to find others who know how to nurture and create their own happiness and share it freely.
- Live A Healthy Lifestyle. This may seem obvious but have you ever felt the negative impact that a poor night’s sleep or simply being hungry can have? Tend to your body and its basic needs such as well balanced and proper nutrition. Let the feel-good hormones that routine exercise releases help you stay positive each day. Don’t forget a good night’s sleep, as regularly being sleep deprived can raise your levels of anxiety, depression and negative thinking.
Simply put, positive thinking can help improve numerous aspects of your life, including your physical health. Although it can be challenging to stay positive all of the time, attempt to look at the positives even when you are faced with negative situations. Change your mind and you will find that it can change your life.
If you are interested in learning more about health and wellness, I encourage you to schedule an with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Corrective Exercises, and Massage. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!