Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a disorder that causes widespread musculoskeletal pain in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues throughout the body. It is often combined with other symptoms like temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ/TMD), irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue, depression, anxiety, cognitive issues, and sleep interruption.
Diagnosis of FMS can be difficult, as there is no specific lab test to determine if the patient has the disorder. Current guidelines state that a diagnosis can be made if a person has widespread pain for more than three months, with no underlying medical condition.
This painful and mysterious condition affects around three to five percent of the American population, predominantly women.
How Chiropractic Can Help Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Chiropractic Adjustments. This chiropractic technique helps to realign your body and re-establish the connection between the nervous system and nerves throughout the body. It essentially resets the nervous system so that the brain can process pain more accurately. In fibromyalgia, the pain is believed to be caused by the central nervous system receiving faulty or inaccurate pain signals and the result is pain felt throughout the body.
- Lifestyle Adjustment Recommendations. The chiropractor may also make recommendations regarding lifestyle adjustments. This can include incorporating exercise into the patient’s daily routine or finding ways to control the pain without medication. The recommendations will depend on the patient’s everyday activities and lifestyle.
- Better Sleep Quality. A common by-product of the pain associated from fibromyalgia is lack of sleep. As anyone knows, being unable to snag several hours sleep can leave you feeling tired, foggy, and irritable. By working with a chiropractor to loosen their joints and manage their tender points, patients suffering from this condition can enjoy deeper sleep, and stay asleep longer.
- Empowers The Patient. Individuals who must cope with painful, chronic illnesses can become exasperated with treatment options, and feel as if they have no control over their situations. Unfortunately, these feelings can bring on stress and depression, which only works against getting better. By working with a chiropractor, patients can feel more in charge of their pain management and more optimistic in their recovery.
- Nutritional Recommendations. Nutrition plays a large part in every aspect of the body. It can cure conditions and help alleviate symptoms. The chiropractor will often make recommendations regarding changes to the diet and supplements. It helps both the psychological aspects of the condition as well as the psychological ones.
- Increases range of motion. Chiropractors are also able to adjust the body’s joints and help loosen them. For fibromyalgia patients, this can sometimes increase their range of motion and allow them to move more easily.
A person suffering from fibromyalgia has a central nervous system that amplifies the sensation of pain while minimizing their ability to resist and fight pain itself.
Chiropractic care is a valuable tool to treat the symptoms of fibromyalgia, and patients who will commit will see the benefits of less pain, greater mobility, and better sleep. And, perhaps the best benefit of all, they can take control of their circumstances and be a vital part of managing their personal well-being.
If you are interested in learning more about how chiropractic can help with fibromyalgia, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many other holistic treatments such as decompression therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, neurofeedback, psychology, Reiki, nutrition, massage, rolfing and corrective exercise. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!