If you’ve been diagnosed with a chronic condition or illness, you may feel as if you have little control over your present or future. The stress of learning how to maneuver the medical world, cope with the changes pain has caused, and manage daily life can often lead to extreme worry or panic.
Research has shown that people with chronic pain are more likely to develop symptoms of anxiety. Many people lose independence, mobility or endure financial strain due to the pain and can easily feel overwhelmed with anxiety as they struggle to cope. Conversations about the issues from chronic pain often turn into conversations about anxiety.
Chronic pain is widespread and can be a consequence or source of anxiety. It may be equal or sometimes slanted much more one way than the other, but each influences the other to some degree. For many people with both pain and anxiety, solving the pain is the best possible treatment for anxiety.
5 Natural Remedies For Chronic Pain
- An anti-inflammatory Diet. Pain is often caused or aggravated by inflammation. Eating a diet that can reduce these inflammatory responses is helpful.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture can relieve pain by removing the qi blockages with tiny needles. As frightening as that sounds, there is actually minimal discomfort associated with acupuncture.
- Massage. Massage can help release stress and tension that build up in muscle tissue and stimulate blood flow.
- Chiropractic. Chiropractic care finely tunes the alignment of your spine. This helps all body systems to run efficiently.
- Yoga. Yoga can help with flexibility, which naturally helps to relax muscles, improve strength, and increase the joints’ range of motion.
- Herbal Remedies or Supplements. There are many conditions associated with chronic pain; it is difficult to list all the possible herbal remedies to reduce your pain. It is also recommended to speak to an experienced physician who is knowledgeable about these remedies.
Anxiety itself is a normal and often healthy emotion. However, when a person regularly feels excessive levels of anxiety, it might become a medical disorder. Anxiety can be extremely destructive, but when combined with chronic pain, it can become paralyzing.
Common Symptoms Of Anxiety:
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Trouble concentrating
- Excessively worrying about physical health.
- Avoiding social interactions
Remedies for Anxiety
- Seek help from a professional. Psychologists are trained to provide you with tools to learn how to eliminate or control your anxiety. Bringing down or eliminating anxiety will go along way towards helping your pain be reduced.
- Talking your situation through with a psychologist is one tool, but did you know there are many others: Neurofeedback, EMDR, tapping, etc.
Lifestyle Changes To Reduce Anxiety
- Eating a healthy diet.
- Staying active and working out.
- Getting enough sleep and keeping a consistent sleep routine.
- Staying active and exercising.
- Avoiding alcohol.
- Avoiding caffeine.
- Quitting smoking cigarettes.
When you have chronic pain, it’s easy to feel anxious, especially when that pain is severe, unpredictable, and as a result, your life can be filled with uncertainty and worry. But when anxiety becomes equally chronic, whether an ongoing feeling of unease or deep panic, it can seriously hamper your efforts to manage the unmanageable.
If you are interested in learning more about chronic pain relief, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Massage, Rolfing, and Corrective Exercise. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!