The shoulders are simply an amazing part of our musculoskeletal structure, and have a greater range of motion than any other joint in the entire body, due to the four tendons that stabilize the upper arm bone inside the shoulder socket. This same structure that grants such a large range of motion, however, also tends to make us susceptible to shoulder pain.
Common Shoulder Problems
Some of the most common types of shoulder pain issues include:
- Bursitis. One of the most common diagnoses in patients with shoulder pain is bursitis. Bursitis is the inflammation of a fluid-filled sac, or bursa, that protects the joint and helps make movement more fluid.
- Tendonitis. Tendonitis is when tendons become compressed under the bony arch of the shoulder. The compressed tendons, in turn, become inflamed or damaged and cause pain. This can occur from general wear and tear, aging, repetitive motion, or an injury.
- Shoulder Instability. Instability is an issue that can cause a joint to become loose. Instability can be caused by a traumatic injury (dislocation), repetitive injury or maybe a developed condition.
- Sprains and Strains. This often happens when stress is placed on the stabilizing tissues of the shoulder (the muscles; the tendons, which anchor muscle to bone; and the ligaments, which connect bones).
- Dislocated Shoulder. A dislocation is an injury that occurs when the upper part of the arm bone becomes disconnected from the cup-shaped socket attached to the scapula.
- Rotator Cuff Tear. A Rotator cuff tear arises when the tendons of the rotator cuff separate from the bone
- Frozen Shoulder. Also called ‘adhesive capsulitis,’ this is a condition that leads to stiffness of the joint and decreased range of motion.
- Arthritis. Arthritis is a gradual narrowing of the joints and loss of protective cartilage in the joints about the shoulder.
Chiropractic Care and Shoulder Pain
- To help identify the origin of the problem, you and your chiropractor will discuss your symptoms, as well as previous injuries, your family health history, and your lifestyle, including recreational and work-related physical activities. Next, a physical examination will be performed and X Rays will be taken when warranted. This integrated approach helps determine the best course of treatment for your shoulder pain.
- A chiropractor is uniquely qualified to restore the overall health of your spine and joints including the shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, hips, knees, ankles and feet. Special chiropractic techniques may relieve the pressure that is the cause of your shoulder pain. Chiropractic adjustments can help restore alignment in the spine and joints of the extremities, improve mobility, and relieve pain and stiffness.
- A chiropractor may recommend other forms of treatment for relieving your shoulder pain. These may include but are not limited to ice packs, massage, electric stim, traction, or stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Chiropractic care addresses all areas of the body ultimately to relieve pain without surgery and medication help the patient achieve quicker healing.
The Takeaway: Chiropractic Care For Treating Shoulder Pain
We don’t usually think much about our shoulders until they start to give us pain. While many people are under the assumption that they either must live with shoulder pain or have surgery, the fact is that comprehensive Chiropractic Care is extremely effective in treating shoulder pain and restoring range of motion. It can help to reduce or relieve pain, increase flexibility, improve range of motion, and restore function to the joint.
If you are interested in learning more about health and wellness, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Corrective Exercises, and Massage. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!