If aching knees, hips, stiff shoulders, and other painful joints are something you experience on a regular basis, you are certainly not alone. According to research done by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 14 million people in 2014 said they suffer from joint pain, commonly caused by inflammation in the body.
Remedies include weight management regular exercise, Chiropractic services, and supplements, but what you eat may also be helpful.
7 Foods That Are Helpful In Relieving Joint Pain
- Ginger. The active substance in ginger, Gingerol, has been shown in several studies to be effective in reducing joint pain and inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties seem to be helpful in relieving pain and improve function for all types of arthritis. Consider eating a spoonful or two of raw ginger a day, or steep ginger pieces in boiling water to make a tea.
- Salmon. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and has been found to decrease inflammation. Experts recommend at least 3 to 4 ounces of fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, twice a week. Omega-3-rich fish also includes salmon, tuna, mackerel, and herring.
- Pineapple. While pineapple is rich in vitamin C, it is an anti-inflammatory food because it contains bromelain, which is full of anti-inflammatory substances that can help reduce joint swelling linked to rheumatoid arthritis. For best results eat fresh pineapple or drink fresh pineapple juice for reducing joint pain. Cooked pineapple will lose at least 50 percent of bromelain, while canned pineapple also has some of its bromelain destroyed.
- Broccoli. While rich in vitamins K and C, broccoli also happens to contain a compound called sulforaphane, that has been found to help prevent or slow the progression of osteoarthritis (OA). Broccoli is rich in calcium as well, which is known for its bone-building benefits.
- Nuts. Nuts are wonderfully rich in protein, magnesium, calcium, zinc, vitamin E and immune-boosting alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), as well as filling protein and fiber. They are a heart-healthy choice and as well as being beneficial for weight loss. Consider walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios, and almonds.
- Beans And Lentils. Beans and lentils are known for their health benefits and are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and other essential minerals. They also have a mix of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Black beans, pinto beans, lentils, chickpeas, and soybeans are all sources of anthocyanins, a magical flavonoid that reduces inflammation.
- Root Vegetables And Garlic. Garlic, onions, and turmeric have great anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that root vegetables can be useful in treating symptoms of arthritis as well as other joint pain. Incorporate these vegetables into meals for added flavor. As a bonus, they are also available in a supplement form.
Your daily routine can have a large impact on the health and longevity of your joints. By choosing foods that build bone density, strengthen connective tissue, and reduce inflammation you will go a long way in helping yourself prevent injuries and preserve your joints for a healthier, long, active life.
If you are interested in learning more about health and wellness, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted practitioners at SHIN Wellness. We offer many holistic treatments such as Decompression Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Neurofeedback, Psychology, Reiki, Nutrition, Corrective Exercises, and Massage. If you need some help figuring out what service is right for you, try our personalized consultation. Our Wellness Center and Chiropractor office in Miami Florida specializes in restoring your health!