7 Benefits Of Chiropractic Care Other Than Back And Neck Pain Relief
Chiropractic is more than just a solution for back or neck pain, it’s key to a healthy lifestyle.
Your spinal column, made up of 24 independent vertebrae, is what allows your body to move, twist, and bend through every motion of your busy day.
It also encases and helps protect the delicate central nervous system that controls and coordinates every muscle, tissue, and organ of the body. This is why we believe the first step to an active lifestyle is a properly functioning spine.
7 Benefits Of Chiropractic Care Other Than For Back And Neck Pain Relief
- Relieve Stress. When your nervous system is out of line and your entire muscular and skeletal systems are not in the proper position, chances are your entire body will feel out of line. This can cause a great deal of mental and physical stress on your body. Once you have been balanced, your body will immediately feel less tense, and this message of relaxation will also go straight to the brain. Once you are adjusted you will find yourself much more equipped to manage stress.
- Headaches. Second only to back pain, headaches (both tension headaches and migraine headaches) are one of the most common conditions regularly managed by chiropractors. A visit to the chiropractor can greatly alleviate tension headaches. During your visit, the doctor will evaluate your spine and perform any necessary manipulation or adjustments to straighten your back and neck and help to alleviate the tension and stress that has built up.
- Improve Your Immune System. When you get adjusted, your chiropractor is removing subluxations (a slight misalignment of the vertebrae, regarded in chiropractic theory as the cause of many health problems) that are preventing your nervous system from working properly. Your nervous system is in charge of sending and receiving information, including sending information to and from your immune system. Keeping your nervous system working properly keeps your immune system working properly, meaning your immune system will start working better and you will start recovering from illnesses faster.
- Improve your digestion. The nerves that run through the spine also control your stomach and its functions. If the vertebrae in this area are improperly aligned, the nerves can begin signaling a need for more acid production, resulting in gas, heartburn, and acid reflux. A chiropractic adjustment can help the nerves in the thoracic spine work properly; the end result is frequently the elimination of stomach problems.
- Chiropractic care can help you breathe better. The lungs are just like every other part of the body in that they rely on nerve function to travel unimpeded from the brain to the spinal cord. A misalignment in the thoracic and mid-cervical regions of the spine can lead to lung abnormalities like asthma. Correcting subluxations can help reduce inflammation in the lungs and increase our ability to breathe properly.
- Improve blood pressure. Research has been done that shows that one upper cervical chiropractic adjustment had the same effect as two blood pressure-lowering drugs. Even more fascinating, the effects of just one adjustment lasted more than six months! This specific manipulation is referred to in chiropractic circles as the “Atlas adjustment,” and is known to have stabilizing effects on blood pressure.
- Assist in a healthier pregnancy and may even be able to make delivery easier. During pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through many significant changes that impact the nervous system’s function. Ligaments in the pelvic area loosen to enable childbirth; at the same time, weight increase in a woman’s core can lead to an instability that places increased pressure on an expectant mother’s spine. Regular chiropractic care throughout pregnancy can help ensure a healthier mother and child.
Most of the time when people think of chiropractors or chiropractic care they think specifically of back and neck pain. While chiropractors can definitely help relieve those issues they can do quite a bit more to help relieve other aches and pains and with your overall health and wellness.